Monday, September 03, 2007

Vacation 2007, Concluded

It is Labor Day 2007. As I look at the words that I myself wrote in the previous post about vacationing and lazy days and such, I wonder, "Where did those lazy days get to, anyway?" It is a bit surreal to think that tomorrow marks the beginning of another school year. It is even more surreal to think that this is the beginning of my 5th year as a teacher. That's not too bad a record for a guy who hated teaching for the first two months! Anyway, as the door closes on another summer, let me offer some concluding comments about our dog days.

Obviously, this past summer was a bit unusual for us in several ways. Nonetheless, it was a great three months. Our time in Colorado was well-spent, and we were sorry to leave. I have occupied myself for the last few weeks with making preparations for the new school year. I like to evaluate how I operate and make any changes that will improve my teaching. (Whether or not these changes actually do that is another matter entirely.) Last week I loaded onto a Laidlaw bus with my students for another week of spiritual focus and offbeat zaniness at School Retreat. While I was away, Danielle and Eldan flew to NH to be with her fam for a few days. I was shocked at how much Eldan changed over the course of even just 8 days! I welcomed both of my loved ones back with open arms and we are all glad to be together again.

As of today...

I am looking forward to another year of teaching...
Danielle is looking forward to a tutoring opportunity...
And Eldan is looking forward to spending some quality time with his toys. (He's been away from them for most of the summer!)

I have included in this post the latest installment in the Doan Family Videos Series. I apologize that the quality is quite grainy at times. If you really want crystal-clear quality, you'll need to order the complete Season 2 DVD when it is available next spring. You can enjoy the video on the player below.
As always, please allow enough time for the video to download before you lose your temper.

That is all for now. I hope to be more consistent in updating this site, but...I hoped to be more consistent in updating this site last year too, and my lack of success at this is painfully apparent. In the meantime, the days are gradually growing shorter, the temperature should begin to cool, and a new school year awaits...



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew, Danielle, & Eldan, love the video. It's so much fun to see the joy your family possesses. We appreciate you very much! Have a wonderful school year! The Daveys

Matthew Celestine said...

Hey, nice blog.