Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Murphy's Law Incarnate

I have decided something recently. I am the living embodiment of Murphy's Law. You know, "If anything can go wrong, it will." It's true. If I am carrying something in one of my hands, and I need my keys--they will no doubt be in the pocket that is opposite my free hand. If our neighborhood is going to receive a torrential downpour in the wee morning hours, I will no doubt have left my car windows WIDE open! If it is 12:30 on a Sunday morning and I am trying to finish a DVD to be played at church the next day, my computer will no doubt begin working so slow that it takes several minutes just to minimize a window. Yup, that's me--Mr. Murphy! Mr. Always Gets in the Line that Moves the Slowest at Wal-Mart. I have realized over the course of the last few months, however, what I believe to be an important lesson. One that I will share with you now. It's easy to pray and ask God to get you out of the frustrating, difficult, or just down-right irritating situation. ("God, please help my sink to start draining again!") I wonder, however, if maybe God is more interested in how we react to the situation than He is in getting us out of it. In other words, maybe Murphy's Law is God's way of teaching me patience, self-control, and perseverance. We might as well, accept it--things are going to go wrong. The extension cord is going to get in a tangled mess while you try to wrap it up in a neat coil. So rather than get all tangled up myself, maybe I should concentrate on submitting to the Spirit and learn to laugh at myself.

Remember...
Emmanuel,
"God is with Us,"
All is Well!

No comments: