Thursday, September 27, 2007

Freeze Frame

Several months ago Danielle and I were talking with a friend of ours from Lima (Ohio, not Peru). He made an interesting statement to us as the three of us were talking about Eldan. He said, "You know, I've always thought that if it were somehow possible to freeze my kids at a certain age so that they wouldn't grow anymore, I would freeze them right at the age Eldan is now--12 to 18 months." At the time I nodded in agreement, but in recent weeks I have come to understand his meaning more and more. I've noticed certain things that Eldan does or things that we do together that I wish I could freeze and capture for all time. What everyone has been telling me since April 12, 2006 (and even before) is true. Time does go by way too fast. I feel saddened to think that some of those "precious moments" are slipping away so rapidly. Now you all know that I am the camcorder guy and that I put even the most mundane moments of our little lives on tape (and on this blog), but even I can't capture everything. Furthermore, there are certain things that no camera lens can ever capture. Those are the moments to which I am referring. And so, I offer this brief list in hopes that I can come back one day, read this post, and be reminded of some of those everyday moments in our lives as a young family looking forward...

1. The feeling of Eldan's cheek against mine when I sit him on my lap to put on his shoes.
2. The sight of various letters of the alphabet flying across the kitchen floor as Eldan takes them off the magnetic door and throws them.
3. The sight of Eldan running across the room to give Danielle or me a hug for the first time.
4. The feeling of Eldan resting his head on my chest.
5. The way all three of us touch our heads together when we sing before bedtime.
6. The daily ritual Eldan and I share of going to get the mail.
7. Running through the list of every person in our family and hearing Eldan repeat the name after us.
8. The way Eldan folds his hands together when we thank God for our food.
9. Two words--Eldan's laugh.

I will stop there for now. I may come back one day, add a few more to the list, and re-publish this post. In the meantime, I will have to rely on the ol' noggin to capture and cherish those moments as much as possible.

As I type this, I am sitting in South Bend, Indiana. I am here for an educator's conference until tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait to get home, give Danielle a hug and kiss, and check the mail with my son.

1 comment:

QNormal said...

Indeed. As in the picture, Eldan is standing at the threshold. Sooner than you are ready he will be crossing the line. All you can do is stand cemented watching him walk away into his life. The only thing holding back now is the small chain of youth.