Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Vacation 2007, Part I

"How could something that seemed to make so much sense before I did it, seem so stupid after I had done it?"

This was the question I posed to myself in the early morning hours of Thursday, June 14th. I was in our faithful Chevy Cavalier driving the last few miles of the journey between Heath, Ohio and Francestown, New Hampshire where my in-laws live. The final minutes of trip seemed to be moving in slow motion. We had loaded the car on Wednesday afternoon and pulled out of our driveway at exactly 3:28pm. Here we were, 750 miles and 14 hours later, and we were all exhausted. Why did we drive through the night when we didn't have to? You might ask. My answer is--I'm not really sure. It seemed like a great idea before we left. I must clarify, and tell you that Danielle didn't really want to go at night--It was mainly my idea. Eldan didn't express an opinion on the subject. I thought that the drive would be cooler (our AC is on the fritz), and that we would make better time. Both of those things might have been true, but I didn't account for the wear and tear the long night hours would bring upon my wife and son. In the end, we arrived safely, but it took us several days to recover from our little nighttime junket.

We are spendng about a week and a half here in New Hampshire. It has been a relaxing visit so far. Mostly, we've hung out here at the house, but today we went to a local lakeside and did a little swimming. It took Eldan a little while to warm up to the idea of the water (which was quite cool), but he did enjoy splashing around with his cousins. I had a blast playing with a frisbee and some water guns. It was nice to get out in the sun for a while.


We will remain here in NH until next Tuesday or Wednesday when we will drive back to Ohio--during the day!

Hope this post finds each of you doing well.
(PS - If my brother Jeremy is reading this--remind me to tell you about the first picture...)

No comments: