Saturday, June 30, 2007

Vacation 2007, Intermission

We arrived back in Ohio on Thursday afternoon after an incredibly long drive from New Hampshire. The distance was the same as when we drove out there, of course, but several obstacles (including accident-induced traffic jams, torrential downpours, horrendous thunderstorms, and ubiquitous construction zones) combined to make the trip much, much longer than we wanted it to be. Nonetheless, we are home...for a few days at least. On Monday evening, we will fly nonstop to Denver. (I think it may be the first time I have flow nonstop anywhere!)

On the drive home from NH, I had plenty of time to think as I drove. I recalled a comic strip from the Calvin and Hobbes series that I read several years ago. Calvin, the ever optimistic young man that he was, was compiling a list of things that annoyed him. Why he was doing this I don't know. Furthermore, why I am doing the same thing, I don't know either. Yet, as I drove, I couldn't help but think of a few things I would put on my list, so...here they are with no further ado and no edificational value whatsoever:

THINGS THAT ANNOY ME
1. Those little stringy portions on the side of a banana
2. Female sportscasters
3. The entire state of Connecticut
4. Comedians who laugh at their own routines
5. Each and every prescription drug commercial ever made (Does anyone really ask their doctor if such and such medicine is "right for me"?)
6. Whoever in the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is in charge of road signage
7. Drivers who try to let you know that they want to get around you by tailgating and swerving their cars back and forth impatiently
8. Fast food restaurant employees with an attitude
9. The phrase, "How are you?"

That is just the short list. If you have any of your own to add, please feel free to leave them in the comment section. We can all use this post as a therapeutic way of venting our frustrations about life's little annoyances without doing any real harm.
Please don't misunderstand. I'm really not in a bad mood. I just wanted to make a list. So I did. Life is good, and I'm on vacation. Part II is coming soon...

No comments: