Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Season Opener

Yesterday, I made my debut as the Junior High Boys Basketball Coach. We have been practicing for over a month and we finally had a chance to face a real opponent. We tipped-off against Horizon Science Academy at approximately 4:30 p.m. Here is a brief summary of the game:

I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it wouldn't have mattered if I did know what to expect because I am sure I would never have expected what coaching is really like. I realize that coaching the season opener of the Junior High basketball team of a very small Christian school in Central Ohio doesn't exactly rate in Sports Illustrated Top Ten Moments in Sports History, but...it was a big deal to me. I was very nervous as were my 14 players. Let me cut to the chase and give you the final score--Horizon Science Academy 30; Licking County Christian Academy 28. We lost by two points right at the buzzer. My point guard Brian had a really good look at a 3-pointer to win it, but it was just a hair off of the mark. The game was very tight throughout, and it was a roller coaster ride from start to finish.

Despite my initial disappointment when Brian's shot bounced off the back of the rim and fell to the floor, I was very pleased with the game as a whole. My guys played with a lot more poise and intelligence than they had ever done in practice. I think the one aspect of the game that caught me off guard was how quickly everything happens when you are coaching. There is a lot to keep track of. Things that I would normally find rather simple (like identifying what type of defense the opposing team was running) seemed to be quite a bit more difficult when the game is on. The on-the-spot-decision making ability that is required of a coach is an area where I need much improvement. It's a good thing that we have about 18 more games this season in which I can do that very thing!

All in all I really enjoy being a coach, and I am thankful to my team for making my inaugural game an exciting one!


(By the way, my TWIRPS have not been discontinued. I am finding it difficult to corral enough time to type these each weekend. Do not dismay, however, more of these beloved entries will be forthcoming...)

No comments: