Saturday, December 23, 2006

A Colorado Christmas, Part III

The ordeal is over. After 2 days of waiting and standing in line at the airport and checking weather reports on the internet and praying and waiting and waiting and waiting...we have arrived in Colorado. Actually, we arrived on Friday night around 8 in the evening. By some miracle we were able to get standby seats on the first flight from Columbus to Denver after DIA reopened Friday afternoon. Incidentally, this was the only flight to Denver yesterday from Columbus. I still don't know quite how this happened. The numbers just don't add up. We were numbers 20 and 21 on the priority list. When the time came, the airline only gave away 15 standby seats on a flight which was oversold by 5 in the first place. Only one other seat was given away after our seats. I'm not sure how we moved up 7 spots, but we did.

We landed on the ground at 8pm, but we didn't actually get in my parent's car until over an hour later. The airport in Denver can only be described as a quagmire. The security line, I am told, was a 3 hour wait. The baggage claim area was completely clogged with bags and people. I took some video of this that I will have to share with you later. I forgot to mention that we had to sit on the plane for 10 minutes after taxiing for 10 minutes while the plows cleared out the area next to the jetway so we could pull in. It was a long day, but I wasn't complaining at all. Danielle and I were just grateful to be there.

After a good night's sleep, we are here at my parent's enjoying a four year old, a two year old, and 4 babies under one year old! It gets noisy at times, but it really is a special time for us Doans. I hope that everyone else is having just as special of a time with their loved ones.

I'm not sure if there are any more blizzards in the future, but now that we are here it can snow all it wants to! I wouldn't mind a few extra days of vacation :-)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments: