Sunday, December 21, 2008

Here We Go...Again

It appears that I will have some time on my hands today, so...
I thought I would try my hand at some poetry.


One Snowy Saturday


We woke with our hopes as high as the sky
That we would get on a plane and be able to fly.
Colorado was our destination
For a glorious family Christmas celebration.
But, alas, as in the airport we found ourselves standing,
We realized our plane would not soon be landing--
Or taxiing, or cruising, or any such thing.
Does all this have a familiar ring?
Our flight had been cancelled--rejected, denied!
I looked at my wife and we both almost cried.
Nothing out of Boston today, I'm afraid.
Our Christmas vacation will be slightly delayed.
I talked to the lady at the counter for a while
Who tried to assist us with a half-hearted smile.
She said, "I can get you on a flight tomorrow for free."
But she failed to mention that it passed through Chile!
"No thanks," I responded as I looked at the gates,
"For now we will try to stay in the States!"
She had one more flight that left on Sunday,
But another snow storm was headed our way.
I decided to try and get ahead of the game,
So for a flight on Monday, I put down my name.
Rather than drive through the weather as well,
I decided we would stay in a local hotel.
After freezing while waiting for the shuttle to come,
We dragged all our stuff to room 821.
After a Mexican dinner and some Sour Patch Candy
We lay in our beds--for once feeling dandy!
But then the baby, she started to cry,
And for the life of us both, we didn't know why!
My wife tried to calm her and settle her down,
But poor little Evelyn was stuck with a frown!
After what seemed like an hour or two
She finally calmed down. But then, you know who!
Mr. Eldan decided to wake up and scream,
I think he was having some sort of bad dream!
At last both the kids were sleeping away
And we could call an end to a difficult day.
If you want to know how things will conclude,
Just check back here soon--for the next interlude!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the Mr Doan we all know and love-- VERY creative! We will be praying for all of you and your travels! All is well here... no snow though! :( Miss you all and Merry Christmas! :D

Laura said...

Oh man! What a day! BUT this is very good reading! Amazing what you can do with some time on your hands! :) And you've got to be kidding baout the flight through Chile! Really???!!!