Sunday, December 30, 2007

NFinaLe - Thoughts from Week 17

Over the course of the last three years, I have become an enthusiastic fan of the National Football League. As the regular season concludes today, I have some thoughts. Why I am choosing to share them with you, I don't know. Nonetheless, here they are:

On the Cleveland Browns - Who would have ever thought it possible? Not that they would win 10 games, but that I would be marginally interested in their team! Dare I even use the word, fan? Didn't see that one comin'!

On the Cincinnati Bengals - Palmer deserves better.

On the Denver Broncos - Unbreak my heart! (I hope the Cutler Chronicles are about to begin!)

On the Miami Dolphins - Thanks a lot! Now I don't have anything to tease Coach Davis about at the lunch table! If you're gonna do something, in the name of all that is decent, follow through till the end!

On the Green Bay Packers - Never thought I would say this, but--I hope Farve makes it to the big show. The guy is hard not to like.

On the rest of the NFC - Who cares?

On the New England Patriots - Congratulations!--for the time being, but remember--it don't mean a thing if you don't get the ring! (I came up with that all by myself! How exactly do you coin a phrase? Is that a government run thing?)

On Tom Brady - I heard you say last week on "60 Minutes" that there has got to be more out there than just winning three Super Bowls. There is, and I truly hope that you find it one day. I can tell you what it is if you want me to.

On naming this team or that team the "best ever" or the "best of the decade" or the "best" of anything - Rubbish! Drivel! How can anyone authoritatively name any team the best of anything! "Best-ness" is a relative value dependent on the ideals of the person using the term. It can't be quantified. Championships aren't about who is the best. Organized sports aren't about who is the best. Sports is about who wins when it matters! This year's Super Bowl Champion won't be the best team--it will be the team who won when it counted. Period. End of story and end of post!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um....maybe the champion of the Super Bowl will be the best at winning when it matters. And for short, we'll just call them the best.

(JOOC, when in the NFL season does winning not count?)