Saturday, September 30, 2006

Man of the House

(The following is my TWIRP for the week of Sept. 24-30. Enjoy...)

On Tuesday morning, I had a very strange experience. I know that millions of people all over the world have gone through this numerous times, but...it was a first for me. I was walking through the Columbus, Ohio Airport with my wife and son. When we got to the security checkpoint I could go no further. Danielle and Eldan got in line to be screened by the TSA officials and I stood by the wall watching them. Several weeks ago, my mother-in-law had purchased a ticket for Danielle and Eldan to fly to New Hampshire and visit for 5 days, and now they were leaving. As I mentioned, this was a first for me. In the 2 and a half years that Danielle and I have been married we have been apart only for a day at most. It's nice how that works out--When you're married you get to be together everyday. As I stood there, watching her walk through the metal detector, I wasn't too sure I was going to like this whole idea. I was suddenly overcome by a very powerful thought--The two most important earthly parts of my life were walking away from me so they could board a bus with wings and fly thousands of feet in the air to a destination hundreds of miles away! No, I wasn't too sure about the whole concept, but what could I do? I thought about jumping over the ropes of the security line and trying to catch up to them, but I figured the TSA folks would find very little humor in that, so...I waved goodbye and walked to my car--alone.

Now, before anyone leaves a comment chiding me for being so silly and sentimental or telling me that thousands of couples are apart from each other for much longer than 5 days, let me tell you--I know. I know that military families face a separation and a loneliness that is lightyears away from ours. I know that being apart at times is an inevitable occurrence in a marriage. I know, I know, I know. But...that doesn't mean I have to like it! Don't misunderstand. I am very glad that Danielle was able to visit her family. I know that she has enjoyed herself greatly. But I guess this week has reminded me of how much I love being married and how much I love being at home with my family. That's all I'm trying to say. I have been reminded of those immortal words, "It is not good that the man should be alone." And to that sentiment I give my wholehearted agreement.

So...I have been the man of the house this week...just like I am every week except that no one else is in the house with the man of the house. One of the first things that I did was drag my old dingy recliner out of the garage and into the living room so that I could watch my Civil War DVD's and play XBOX in comfort and ease. I haven't cooked, but I did do a small load of laundry. I was in Finley, Ohio for two nights with our school staff for an educator's convention, so I guess I really haven't been alone all that much. All in all, the week has been okay. One highlight was the arrival of my newest nephew, Liam Edwin Sealy, on Thursday afternoon. This is the fourth and final newborn in our family for the year. We'll see what happens in 2007! It's too bad that Liam couldn't have come a little bit later in October. He might have been the 300 millionth American! Oh well, I guess he will have to settle for being 299,987,348.

Danielle and Eldan return on Sunday (Lord-willing). Until then, I will forge ahead in solitude...until 5 o'clock when I am going to some friends' house for dinner. What can I say? People know I can't cook and they feel sorry for me! Anyway, October is here; fall is coming, and the weekend awaits...

3 comments:

QNormal said...

I don't think your TWIRP is overly sentimental at all. Literally dozens of women feel tremendous separation anxiety every day. My kids still cry sometimes when I leave them in the nursery at church. You are not alone in your sorrow.

Anonymous said...

Just checking to see if comment moderation has been turned off successfully.

Anonymous said...

Nothing silly about it. I remember the first time Nichole and WilLiam left me for some time. Not cool. And then when my in-laws suggested doing it again, I was more than a little peeved.
Needless to say, when I drove up to Michigan to be with them I set my fastest time. Never mind what it was. I do remember that I drove 430 miles without stopping. I stopped a total of three times: twice for gas, and once for coffee.

And if you think this feeling is weird, just wait until you and Danielle leave Eldan somewhere for a few days!